HLR Lookup, IMSI Lookup and Privacy
IMSI Lookup & HLR Lookup reveals data that needs protecting.
- The Mobile Country Code, and Mobile Network (MCC/MNC) of the home operator.
- The Master Switching Center (MSC) of network node currently providing a service.
- Subscriber Status Code (SSC) of the MSISDN queried.
- If the user has their phone switched on or off and whether it has been recently activated.
- The geographical location of the subscriber to the nearest city, including if the subscriber is roaming abroad.
There are arguably legitimate services that use Subscriber Status and Geo-location, but these services enabled by HLR Lookup are being increasingly restricted by Mobile Operators as they take increasing measures to lock down any Privacy, Security and Fraud issues in their network. Some examples of these services might be:
- Mobile Banking - Is the location of the subscribers mobile phone consistent with other status information known about the banks customer?
- Mobile Vouchers- Encourage your customer to visit your branch when they are nearby.
- Managing Mobile Marketing List - does you customer still use the MSISDN provided.
What is good practice?
Return to home page